11 January 2012

Funny names in Doha

This has always been one of the small amusements of living overseas is the strange names that appear and the often misuse of English. I cannot really speak other languages so I am not one to mock but there is some amusement to be had in and around Doha with spelling errors and words that in translation are funny to us. Worth keeping a lookout for these.

When travelling in Japan I was told that the Japanese consider it posh to use English in their names of businesses etc. Hence, there is a chain of supermarkets in Osaka called "The Big Off".

A couple in Doha that I noticed prominently displayed are along Haloul Street:

"Vella for Sale" and "Nada Lawyers". Nada means "nothing" in Portuguese so the lawyers are working pro bono (I don't think so!) or they will get you nothing?

Keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers