4 August 2011

Al Jazeera Radio in Doha

Before I came to Doha I lived in Dubai and there were one or two reasonable western easy listening radio stations. I was a bit surprised that there was nothing similar to Virgin in Dubai etc.

However, in our early days in Doha (mid 2010), I did find Al Jazeera radio that for me was quite amusing on two levels for me.

Firstly what Al Jazeera have done is taken the voices from the TV programmes and put them on the radio. This is quite disconcerting as you will be driving along in your car and then the commentator will say something like "and as you can see there is snow driving down from the north west". In Doha? In August? It has you looking around a bit.

Another funny incident for me was that Europe was suffering from an ash cloud from a volcano in Iceland at the time. The commentator (straight from TV) had such a broad New Zealand accent that it took me some considerable time to work out what "Ayish" was.

If you like news type radio then maybe you may like to listen in. For me I lasted about 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers